Purpose and Background:
Our customer is routinely upgrading firmware on our devices around the globe. Currently this is done through an agents software residing on the client pc.
They do, however, wish to implement firmware updates through Windows Update.
Scope of the work:
As a prerequisite to the windows firmware update, they need device drivers signed through MS Azure, as the current drivers does not work in Win10 with secure boot without unlocking.
Also they need to set up the systems capable of delivering the firmware, through windows update in a fashion similar.
- Is knowledgeable about general firmware update patterns
- Knows how to do kernel mode driver signing for Windows using Azure and Microsoft Hardware Dev Center before
- Knows how to make firmware update driver packages for windows
- Has previously build a system delivering firmware through windows updates
Nice to have Qualifications:
- Knowledge about build systems like Jenkins (as they are essentially building an extra firmware delivery system, it would make sense to have code reuse between the two handled by the build)
How the work will proceed:
You will function as the signing-and-windows-update expertise, working with the two internal Architects and the Indian development team.
As they do already have a functioning cloud connected firmware updater (written in C++), a part of the task is porting and wrapping the firmware update code correctly so it will support windows update. Some of the work is creating the infrastructure for getting the updates setup.
When the consultant leave, we will have:
- A signed driver for communicating with our devices. The driver will work both in versions under and above version 1067 (from which Windows requires signed drivers through Azure). Also the driver will work in an environment with Windows running secureboot and bitlocker.
- A system set up to deliver our firmwares through Windows update.
- Knowledge transfer to the team on how to do this for future firmwares.
Min. 5 years of professional IT experience.